Des Plaines, Illinois (population 60,675). The City of Des Plaines, IL is seeking a full-time Chief Building Official (CBO). The CBO works in the Community and Economic Development Department and reports directly to the Assistant Community and Economic Development Director. The CBO oversees a staff of seven (7) including five (5) direct reports. The total annual budget of the department is approximately $2,000,000. The total budget of the City is $171.2M.
Des Plaines is a mission-driven, financially stable, and professionally managed organization. “The mission of the City of Des Plaines is to continually enhance the quality of life enjoyed by the residents and businesses of the community through the development and delivery of reliable and efficient services.” This booming City is only 17 miles northwest of downtown Chicago and is located near O’Hare International Airport. Des Plaines neighboring communities include Park Ridge, Glenview, Mount Prospect, Rosemont, and Chicago. There is no residency requirement for this position.
Des Plaines is a community that is undergoing substantial industrial, commercial, and residential development. There is currently more than $120,000,000 in development underway within the City that includes substantial investment in the City’s downtown district. As of 2020, Des Plaines grew by 2,311 people reaching its highest population ever. Des Plaines covers 15 square miles. The City was incorporated in 1857 and operates under the statutory City Manager form of government. The City Council is comprised of the Mayor and eight Alderpersons. The City is divided into eight (8) wards, with the residents of each ward electing an Alderman to represent the ward.
Des Plaines is home to diverse business partners that include Rivers Casino, Universal Oil Products, Holy Family Medical Center, Sysco Food Services, Acuity Brands, Wheels, Inc. and LSG SkyChefs. Des Plaines is home to well-maintained parks and recreation facilities that are operated by the Des Plaines Park District. These include the Golf Center Des Plaines, Mountain View Adventure Center, Prairie Lakes Community Center, Lake Park Golf Course, Mystic Waters, and Lake Park Marina to name a few.
Minimum Candidate Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering, architecture, construction science, construction management, or a related field
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience with building review and code compliance. One (1) to three (3) years of supervision experience is preferred.
- City is extremely flexible and will consider a combination of education with experience
- International Code Council (ICC) Certified Building Official (CBO) or the ability to obtain certification within one (1) year of employment. Possession of IRC and IBC certifications are preferred
- Is fair, approachable, organized and possess a mature approach to applying the codes
- Understands and values providing great customer service
- Can clearly communicate with residents, developers, and contractors making complex information easy to understand
- Is fair, but firm with team members
- Can help residents, business owners, and construction managers through the development process
Compensation and Benefits
The starting annual salary range for this position is $110,000 – $125,000 DOQ/E. The City of Des Plaines offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package that includes generous leave time, very attractive and cost friendly health insurance coverage for the individual and family, $100,000 in life insurance coverage for the employee, IMRF retirement and a separate 457 Deferred Compensation Plan, professional development, three (3) weeks of vacation, a generous tuition reimbursement policy, and the use of a City vehicle.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com Please submit application including resume, cover letter, and contact information for five (5) work-related references by December 7, 2022, but the position will be open until filled. Please direct all inquiries about the position and/or the process to James Arndt (847) 380-3240. The City of Des Plaines is an Equal Opportunity Employer