West Chester Township
Director of Community Development (Economic Development)
West Chester’s Community Development Director will have the exciting opportunity to serve Ohio’s largest township, “One of America’s Best Places to Live,” and one of Ohio’s Best Communities to do Business. West Chester is committed to superb customer service with an emphasis on integrity, fiscal responsibility and open communications. It is a lean and fiscally sound government known for providing exceptional services to a vibrant community.
The Community Development Director plays a vital role in supporting and driving economic growth and development within West Chester Township, Ohio. This position involves collaborating with local businesses, community organizations, and government agencies to promote a thriving economic environment. The CD Director is responsible for implementing strategies and initiatives to attract new businesses, support existing businesses, and enhance the overall economic vitality of the Township.
The CD Director prepares and monitors the department budget and provides management oversight for all functional areas within the Department, including these key essential duties and responsibilities:
- Organizational Leadership: Foster a team-oriented environment that solves problems through collaborative leadership. Promote organizational goals through department and community leadership.
- Economic Development Strategy: Develop and implement comprehensive economic development strategies and plans in collaboration with key stakeholders to foster business growth and attract new investments. Plan for future redevelopment opportunities to maintain West Chester’s economic strength.
- Business Attraction and Retention: Identify and actively pursue opportunities to attract new businesses, industries, and investment to West Chester. Work closely with existing businesses to provide support, resources, and incentives to promote their growth and retention.
- Site Selection and Development: Identify suitable locations and properties for potential business expansion and coordinate with relevant agencies and partners to facilitate the development process. Collaborate with developers, property owners, and real estate agents to promote available sites and properties.
- Marketing and Promotion: Collaborate with internal marketing team to develop marketing materials, presentations, and campaigns that showcase West Chester as an attractive destination for businesses, investors, and visitors. Represent the city at trade shows, conferences, and other events to promote economic opportunities.
- Community Outreach: Foster partnerships with local community organizations, educational institutions, and workforce development agencies to address workforce needs, enhance job training programs, and create a pipeline of skilled workers to support economic growth.
- Zoning and Nuisance Abatement: Manage enforcement of zoning code and property maintenance regulations. Oversee Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals cases and processes.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: Collect, analyze, and maintain economic and demographic data to identify trends, opportunities, and challenges. Prepare regular reports and presentations to inform township officials, stakeholders, and the public about economic development activities and progress.
- Grant and Funding Opportunities: Research and pursue grant opportunities, incentives, and funding sources to support economic development projects and initiatives.
- Policy and Advocacy: Stay updated on local, regional, and state economic development policies, regulations, and initiatives. Advocate for policies and actions that promote economic growth and attract investment to West Chester.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for West Chester’s next Community Development Director will be a dynamic, progressive, and experienced professional. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker and an effective communicator, at ease articulating difficult topics and interacting with all levels of the organization and the public. The CD Director will have a community- and business-friendly attitude while always considering the impact of each decision on Township operations and finances. The ideal candidate will be a visionary, able to analyze the current state, anticipate future needs, and propose creative approaches to developing and implementing strategic programs for community development. The ideal candidate will guide the Township through evolving urban planning and economic development trends by creating a long-term vision for community development that is aligned with the community’s values and aspirations.
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, urban planning, public administration, or a related field. Advance education, management certifications or extensive experience in the field may be substituted for education and/or experience. Preferred qualifications include Master’s degree in Business Administration or Public Administration, three (3) or more years of director level experience, and prior experience in a township, municipal, or government setting.
Proven success in economic development, business development, and urban planning.
Strong understanding of economic development principles, practices, and trends, including business attraction, retention, and expansion, as well as knowledge of incentives and programs to stimulate economic growth.
In-depth understanding of urban planning principles and practices, including nuisance abatement, land use planning, zoning regulations, and comprehensive planning.
Knowledge of community engagement and outreach methods to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders, business owners, community organizations, and government officials.
Knowledge of relevant public policies impacting community development, including housing policies, transportation planning, and infrastructure development.
Proficiency in data analysis tools and techniques to assess community needs, trends, and opportunities for development.
Strong negotiation skills to navigate complex land use and development agreements with property owners, developers, and community members.
The terms of employment and starting salary are negotiable, with an excellent benefit package. The expected hiring range is $105,000 to $120,000, depending on qualifications; the maximum salary for the position is $140,079.
Housing/moving assistance negotiable upon offer.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume through the West Chester Jobs Portal. . Please visit the Jobs Page of the West Chester website for the CD Director application information. The position is open until filled with first review of applications Friday, March 8, 2024.
Please direct questions to West Chester Township Human Resources at HR@WestChesterOH.org or 513-759-7213.