Closing: June 4, 2023
Salary: $97,543.00 – $180,455.00 Annually
The City of Raleigh, North Carolina invites qualified candidates to apply for the Director of Housing and Neighborhoods position. Raleigh offers a unique opportunity for a proven leader to ensure the well-being of residents and promote the City’s continued growth. The Housing and Neighborhoods Department focuses on affordable housing, code enforcement, neighborhood enrichment, workforce development, entrepreneurship, and business development.
The City of Raleigh has been listed as one of the fastest growing cities in the United States for several years – the City’s current estimated population is nearly 476,000 people, up from 291,141 in the 2000 Census. Raleigh is known for its high standard of living for its residents. In the 2020 Citywide Community Satisfaction Survey, 89 percent of respondents were satisfied with Raleigh as a place to live, 37 percent higher than the national average. The Housing and Neighborhoods Department plays a critical role in cultivating this collective sense of well-being among our residents.
The Director of Housing and Neighborhoods reports directly to the Assistant City Manager but coordinates extensively with the City Manager’s office, the City Attorney and other Departments and outside real estate legal counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees and provides direct staff supervision including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures
- Provides oversight and operational direction to the Housing and Neighborhoods Department to achieve short- and long-term goals and objectives
- Develops and oversees the implementation of policies, procedures, and standards; evaluates operational effectiveness and implements process improvements
- Serves as an organizational and departmental representative by advising, consulting with, and facilitating complex discussions with City management, City officials, boards, commissions, authorities, various agencies and/or other organizations
- Oversees and/or negotiates contracts; provides and presents communications and updates on department activities, positions, and project/program status
- Develops, administers, and oversees department operating budget. Reviews financial statements, monitors and approves expenditures and ensures compliance
Candidates must possess any combination of education and/or experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to be successful, such as a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public administration, or related fields. A graduate degree is preferred.
Candidates must have 10 or more years of progressively responsible related experience in community development and affordable housing. The successful candidate must demonstrate experience in and knowledge of real estate finance, affordable housing lending and loan underwriting, and HUD entitlement programs and their regulatory compliance requirements.
It is important that candidates can demonstrate exposure to the varied services within the responsibilities of the Department of Housing and Neighborhoods, as well as success in implementing innovative strategies and solutions and forging public/private partnerships. Experience in a growth environment will be helpful in anticipating unique needs and challenges that Raleigh faces. Strong collaboration, communication and team-building skills will be critical.