The Rockland County Office of Community Development administers the County’s United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) grants, including but not limited to its Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Home Investment Partnership Program (HOME), and Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) programs. The department is seeking to hire a Housing Rehabilitation Field Specialist (Half-Time) to perform housing inspections and review building plans. The ideal candidate will possess good knowledge of the rules, regulations, and guidelines of HUD’s federal programs as they relate to Housing Quality Standards (HQS); good knowledge of building plans and specifications and ability to determine compliance with same; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and ability to establish rapport with homeowners and constituents as well as contractors.
Performs HUD-11 inspections on funded projects;
Inspects one-to-four family, owner-occupied houses to determine HQS violations, weatherization requirements and architectural barrier removal where applicable;
Provides technical advice in correcting HQS violations;
Prepares detailed plans and specifications for work to be performed including sketches and working drawings or blueprints as required;
Prepares cost estimates of specifications;
Reviews contractors’ bids for compliance with specifications and cost estimates,
Makes on-site inspections to ensure contractors’ conformance to contract, specifications, and cost estimates;
Conducts interim and final inspections to determine workmanship, certify materials used and determine percentage of work completed;
Certifies completion of contractors’ work for payment;
Keeps records and prepares reports.
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and:
- Two (2) years of full-time paid work experience as a Building Inspector; or
- Three (3) years of full-time paid work experience in building construction, alteration, repair or
rehabilitation as a General Foreman, Contractor, Crew Supervisor, or Inspector; or
- Three (3) years of full-time work experience as a self-employed General Contractor in building
construction, alteration, repair or rehabilitation; or
- Five (5) years of full-time experience as a Foreman or self-employed Contractor in a specialized field such as masonry, carpentry, plumbing or as an electrician; or
- Seven (7) years of full-time experience as a Journeyman in a specialized field such as masonry, carpentry, plumbing or as an electrician.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid driver’s license or accessibility to transportation to meet fieldwork requirements in a timely and efficient manner.
If you are interested in this position, please email a resume and cover letter to: